Last month, 17 American and two Canadian missionaries abducted in the Caribbean nation of Haiti were released. After their release, a group has arranged for them to return to their country. The group announced its release on Sunday, local time. However, they did not provide any details in this regard. It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post. News agency Reuters.
A statement from the Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministry said, “We have learned that two of the hostages have been released in Haiti.”
Sixteen of the abductees were U.S. citizens and one was a Canadian citizen. There are also five children in it. They were abducted in Haiti in October on their way back from an orphanage. The incident highlights the problem of Haiti’s abduction. The country’s crisis has recently been exacerbated by economic, political and violence.
Haiti’s National Police Chief Gary Desrogius confirmed to Reuters on Sunday that two missionaries had been released.
Haitian officials say the name of the criminal gang involved in the abduction is “400 Maoists.” Earlier, the gang demanded 1 million per person for the release of the abductees.
The kidnapped missionaries and their families were threatened with death last month, demanding ransom after the abduction. In a video, a man claiming to be the leader of the kidnapping ring made the threat. He was heard saying in a video footage that they would be killed if their demands were not met.
A Haitian security source told CNN that the man seen in the video was Wilson Joseph. He is also known as Lanum Sanzou or Death With Daisy.