talks
News

Taliban-US talks will resume next week

The United States will resume talks with the Afghan Taliban in Qatar next week. The news agency AFP reported this information.

The talks will focus on the fight against terrorism in Afghanistan as well as the ongoing humanitarian crisis in the country.

U.S. State Department spokesman Ned Price said Tuesday the talks are planned to last two weeks. The US delegation will be led by US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Tom West.

Ned Price said both sides would discuss their own important national interests. It will include counter-terrorism operations against the militant group Islamic State (IS) and al-Qaeda, humanitarian aid, Afghanistan’s shattered economy, safe passage for US citizens and Afghans working for the United States in the 20-year war.

West met with Afghan Taliban representatives in Pakistan two weeks ago. Following the meeting, talks between the Taliban and the United States are set to resume in Qatar.

The first round of talks between the two sides was held in Doha, the capital of Qatar, on October 9-10.

West reiterated last Friday the US conditions for the Taliban to receive financial and diplomatic support from the United States. These include the fight against terrorism, the establishment of an inclusive government, respect for the rights of minorities, women and girls, and equal opportunities in education and employment.

West said the United States would continue dialogue with the Taliban. For now, the United States will provide only humanitarian assistance to Afghanistan.

Kabul fell to the Taliban on August 15. Through this, power in Afghanistan passed into the hands of the Taliban. US troops left Afghanistan in late August. This marked the end of the 20-year Afghan war in the United States.

The Taliban announced the formation of an interim government in Afghanistan in early September. However, the Taliban government has not yet been recognized by the international community.

Amir Khan Muttaki, the Taliban’s foreign minister, wrote an open letter to the US Congress last week. In the letter, he called for the release of US assets seized by the United States.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *