At least seven peacekeepers have been killed in a bomb attack on a UN peacekeeping convoy in Mali. The United Nations says the attack took place in central Mali on Wednesday, local time. News AFP.
The agency said in a tweet that seven people had been killed and three seriously injured in the blast. The incident took place in Bandiyagara area of Mapati area on the way to Donatja from Sivar. The victims were members of the peacekeeping force’s Togo contingent.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned the attack, calling it a “heinous attack.” At the same time, he demanded that the people involved be identified and brought to justice.
Al Gassim Owen, the head of Mali’s peacekeeping force, called the attack a “cowardly” attack. He added that the UN mission in Mali had already suffered the most casualties. He also said that Wednesday’s attack could be considered a “war crime.”
Earlier on Monday, a peacekeeper was killed in a roadside bomb blast. The bomber struck shortly after noon in the northern city of Tesla, in Mali. The two troops were evacuated to Dakar, the capital of neighboring Senegal, due to concerns.
Mali has been at the center of the jihadi movement since 2012. In 2015, their movement spread to neighboring Niger and Burkina Faso.
Thousands of people have been killed and more than 2 million displaced by the unrest in the African region. In most cases, such attacks are linked to the involvement of various al-Qaeda-linked militant groups. On the other hand, there have been many casualties at the hands of the country’s security forces in the name of restoring so-called discipline.
According to the UN website, the UN peacekeeping mission in Mali began in 2013. At present, 16,000 peacekeepers are working in the country. The agency claims that Mali’s peacekeeping mission has suffered the most casualties among peacekeeping missions in the world. As of October 31, 147 members of the country’s peacekeeping force had been killed in Mali.